Monday, December 7, 2015

President Obama

Dear President Obama,

I recently received an email from my employer stating that supplemental accident and critical illness coverage through Humana will no longer be offered due to changes in federal regulations.  We are allotted a certain amount for health insurance coverage and what is unused is halved and added to a 401(k).  I am not sure what regulations having this policy violated, but now we are not able to purchase the coverage through our employer which seems to violate the spirit of the Affordable Care Act even if it is consistent with the letter of the law.  We were originally told that we could opt to pay Humana directly for this coverage, but later found out that this would not be possible either.  As a result, half of the amount allotted to me for healthcare simply vanishes and I have no short term disability insurance.  I am certain that this was not your intent when you advocated for this law.  Can't we do something to cut this red tape and give people access to supplemental insurance?

Sincerely,

No comments: