Sunday, August 14, 2011

Subway

Mr. Fred De Luca, CEO, Subway Restaurants
Subway World Headquarters
325 Bic Drive
Milford, Connecticut 06460

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dear Mr. De Luca,

Yesterday, I visited a Subway restaurant located in North Fayette, Pennsylvania. Both the sandwich I ordered (a 12-inch Philly cheese steak on Italian herb with onions and banana peppers) and the service were absolutely flawless, and I commend you and the franchise in that regard.

I was, however, shocked to learn that the price of this sandwich was a hair’s breadth short of $10.00. Mind you, this was with no drink, no chips, and no macadamia nut cookies, which are, incidentally, delicious. I realize that in tough economic times, fewer and fewer people are able to afford to go out to eat and that the resultant loss in profits will need to be compensated for somehow, however I do not believe that charging $10.00 for a sandwich is the way to go about doing this.

When discussing Subway, one is reminded of the exploits of Jared Fogle. Supposing that
Mr. Fogle threw caution to the wind where health was concerned, and instead had the Philly cheese steak at every meal for an entire year. I ask you, would he have eaten $11,000 worth of food? I don’t believe that any reasonable person could conclude that he had. As a figure of comparison, someone earning the federal minimum wage, working 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, would gross $15,080.

At the risk of committing reductio ad absurdum, had a family of four eaten these sandwiches at every meal for the entire 11 years that Jared has been associated with Subway, the total cost would be almost half a million dollars. Assuming drinks, chips and macadamia nut cookies, it would easily exceed that number.

Of course, no one is suggesting that anyone could or should do this, but it exemplifies my point: The sandwich is blatantly too expensive. As much as I would love to continue eating at Subway frequently, the number speak for themselves: I cannot afford it.

In closing, I would like to commend you once more for the quality of your restaurants, their food and the service provided within them, but, again, I would strongly urge you to take a look at these numbers and try to find a happy medium between profitable and reasonable.

Sincerely,

No comments: