Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Apple

Mr. Timothy D. Cook, CEO
Apple Inc.
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014

1/14/14

Dear Mr. Cook,

I am a long-time Apple product user and fan. I grew up using an Apple IIe and have more recently enjoyed products like my MacBook and iPod. I would consider myself a fan and supporter of Apple as a company, and of its products. It is with regret that I must inform you of my most recent experience with the company.

A few weeks ago, a colleague informed me that Apple had released its most recent operating system, OS X Mavericks, as a free upgrade. Excited by this news I immediately began to look into how I could go about upgrading to Mavericks and exploring its new features. I purchased and installed additional memory to meet the 2GB minimum, and I purchased the software package to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Several weeks later, after everything was installed and upgraded, I set about to download Mavericks. To my dismay, the Mac App Store stopped me right there. My model number, you see, is MacBook3,1, and despite having the necessary system requirements, a 3,1 just is not good enough.

I find it bizarre and unfortunate that I am not allowed to use Mavericks because my MacBook is unfit in model name only. This is surprising because I have always heard that Apple is great about supporting older products. I see no reason why I cannot upgrade, except for the fact that Apple wants me to dish out a thousand dollars for a new computer because it has a different model name. I would love to oblige, however, I cannot afford it.

In retrospect, I spent $40+ on Apple products to upgrade this computer to Mavericks compatibility and am no better off than when I started. I am hoping that Apple can rectify this for me in some way. I have always had faith in the company and would hate to think that with the new leadership the company has abandoned its tradition of excellent customer service.

Sincerely,

No comments: