Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The University of Chicago Press

The University of Chicago Press
RE:  Chicago Manual of Style
1427 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637 U.S.A.

5/18/16

Dear University of Chicago Press,

A Google search has revealed to me that there is no authority who regulates the English language.  To the best of my knowledge, you are my next closest option.  It is with that in mind that I write you with a suggestion.

As we know, it is customary to list the dollar sign before an amount, i.e. $20.  However, as English is written and read from left to right, this is counterintuitive.  We say “twenty dollars,” not “dollars twenty.”  The gods of common sense dictate that this should be changed, and I believe the Chicago Manual of Style should be THE manual to pioneer it.  

As a former court reporter I can attest that the current syntax is very unusual during verbatim transcription.  I can think of no instance other than currency where this is the case.  We all know the English language is notoriously wonky and confusing.  Let’s take a stab at righting the ship.  University of Chicago Press, will you take the lead?

For further suggestions on improving the English language, please feel free to write me at the address below.


Sincerely,

No comments: