Saturday, May 12, 2012

Gary Johnson

5/12/2012
Mr. Gary Johnson
731 E South Temple
Salt Lake City, Utah  84102
Dear Mr. Johnson,
Having watched your responses in one of the Republican debates you weren’t shafted out of, I’d have to say I describe myself as casually supportive but optimistic about your bid as Libertarian candidate for the presidency in 2012.  I have been a Ron Paul fan for some time, and being that the Pennsylvania primary is now history, becoming a full-fledged Johnson supporter seems like a logical next step.
Though I have my familiarity with your campaign is not extensive, I do, however, have a few concerns that I feel obligated to convey to you in the furtherance of your bid for the White House.  First of all, with all due respect to the hard-working staff who came up with these, shirts with slogans like “The Coolest President in History” and “The People’s President” strike me as closer to something out of Weekend at Bernie’s than a legitimate political campaign.  I honestly wanted to buy a Johnson shirt and spread the message but was stymied in this regard by the fact that your campaign merchandise seems less than serious.  I did find a nice Johnson shirt on another website, but the proceeds don’t go to the campaign so it felt like it didn’t make any sense to buy it.  I do want to note that the slogan “Live Free,” even though it immediately brings to mind the words “or Die Hard,” isn’t as bad as the others.

Furthermore, the correlation of your name and the word “marijuana” on your website and on Google, Ebay, et cetera, comes off as a cheap ploy to fool stoner college kids into one-issue voting for Johnson.  I realize that your stance on this subject is more substantive than this, but the casual observer will not, and again it makes your campaign come off as less serious than it ought to.

Again, I am not writing this out of animosity, but rather out of concern for how your campaign is being imaged.  I consider myself a Johnson supporter in the 2012 election, and I both hope and expect to see you finishing strong in November.

Sincerely,

No comments: